Saturday 12 April 2014

Pisa, Colosseum and The Venice- Wrap up.

It was a bright day and I was so excited that I was going to cover the Colosseum (The world wonder). I dressed up all well as it was sunny and I had been craving for the sun when I set out from Germany to Italy. I was nearing the colosseum and I found these men showcasing their illusions of being sat in the breeze.
Then I entered the colosseum looking at its grandeur right from the entrance, as I happened to think of all my research I did prior to reaching this place. This was constructed in 70AD. It was expected to hold 50,000 to 80,000 spectators witnessing the gladiatorial contests, mock sea battles, animal hunts, etc. The guides around said the gladiators and other animals would be waiting for their turn of fight by standing under the stage. There use to be high class, middle class, and low class breakup back then, which use to be reflected in the way the seating arrangements were made. The kings and the high-class people would be seated in the closest viewing place and the low class people would be made to view from the highest distance point of the colosseum.




These were the stairs the kings used to take to enter the colosseum. I was so surprised to know that there used to be sea battle fights. This little underground canal would fill up the entire battlefield with water and the huge ships would enter into the battlefield for sea wars (ohhhhh). I was so amazed to imagine that I was standing in a place where around 70,000 and above deaths happened. This is the only place where the huge number of deaths happened apart from the battlefield then.

It was told to us that the colosseum suffered damage due to an earthquake, which happened to demolish half of the colosseum wall. I enjoyed the inside view of the colosseum and kept telling within myself that there were animals, gladiators and other fighters waiting for their turn of death knowingly just to entertain the crowd without any options left for them. There were several partitions under the stage probably for animals and gladiators.





I walked around the colosseum and just peeped out from the top to see the Arch of Constantine, Which was actually constructed as the then king happened to win a battle and the construction took several years for its completion, then again this got destructed a little in an earthquake. This was constructed about 1800 years ago.
I was looking at the construction and the view from the coliseum just to find this bunch of youngsters doing some kind of awareness campaign with a uniform dress worn by all and they shouted something in Italian language. 
Once I had a walk all over the colosseum, I remembered my friend who had already been here and recommended me of a cafe which does excellent tiramisu. I have tried tiramisu in Germany and didn’t like it much but once I tried there, I was so much in love with it. It just melted away and I fell in love with tiramisu more than anything else did there. I wanted to try tiramisu again and I did try in some other place before I started from Rome but I regretted for trying it. The best tiramisu is from the nearby cafe to the coliseum, if you go there do not forget to try tiramisu in the nearby cafe to the colosseum.


Then I went the Arch of Titus, one of the oldest sights in Rome and one of the first triumphal arches in the world!
The next march was to the Palatine Hill, which is one of the Seven Hills of Rome. The best-preserved house date back to the 1st century BC and was the home of Emperor Augustus and his wife. There were certain places which had the restriction to walk on, as still the excavation was happening to dig out these beautiful remnants of the ancient history. I was stunned to see such tall pillars and buildings, which happened to be underground till date. These were excavated for tourists to enjoy the history. I saw the Julius Caesar, then the Roman General’s grave.






Once I finished my tour in the Palatine Hill, I headed to the Indian restaurant called Maharajah.
I really loved the ambience. I was too tired to cover any more places, which happened to be the end of the day.




 I started out the next day to the other world wonder the Pisa. This magnificent beauty was peeping from the side to welcome me.

The whole trip was a feast to my eyes because where ever I turned I could only see artwork, but even in the leaning tower of Pisa ohhhhh, it was splendid. I was on my second trek (St Peter’s Basilica was the first trek) now to the top of Pisa which roughly had 300 plus steps.





I was definitely tired, but there were 4 bells on the top and the breeze was in the full swing which kept me refreshed.
I climbed down after the beautiful view from the top of the Pisa to find every single person posing like this... So I did take a few pictures like this yay!  The only thing that was running in my head was ‘’Oh my god I am just standing in the same place where Newton and several other scientists had worked hard to finish this beauty’’, which was halted after its 2nd floor thinking that the architect went wrong some were and he was sacked only for several scientists to complete it.
This same day I travelled to the Beautiful Island the Venice. I must say I got reminded of my Phi-Phi island trip (Thailand). It was in the night I landed in Venice and it was definitely cold but stunning. I must Venice looks beautiful in the night.





I was super excited to get up early in the morning to see Venice from my hotel balcony. It was definitely beautiful and there happens to be the seawater smell always in the air.
This is the bus station in the Venice.
There comes the water-bus to its Bus stop.

I got dressed up well, but had to wear a long coat, as it was quite sunny yet with a cold breeze.
There were several artists making their creations.
The famous carnival masks were on sale. 
Then I covered the whole Venice by walk, as it’s a small island. I enjoyed walking on the streets of Rialto Markets, the Grand Canal, the clock tower, the St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge was as expected stunning.












Really!!! Only made in Italy...No China??? 












These are made of cabbage, do you believe this???
This is the restaurant I had my sumptuous lunch.


 The top most left corner was the place for prisoners back then, that is the reason these iron grills were on those windows.
This happens to be my favorite place...
The Venice was stunning; there is nothing much to see around, but a best place to relax with your loved ones.
 I stayed in Venice for a couple of days and relaxed myself. I started back to my home thereafter.
The whole Italy trip happened to be a treat as it was filled with art, architecture, and tasty food like pastas. I would love to go back again someday. My next blog post will be one of the famous Indian food recipes, please wait for it till Sunday. Hope you enjoyed my posts so far and if you have anything to say, please do share it in the comment box below until then bye bye take care.

4 comments :

  1. Nice Aish :) Thanks for taking us on the journey with you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome wash. Thanks for your comment. Please do watch out for my next post, so that you could try your hands on Indian food at home for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures :) Loved to know more about the Colosseum and Venice :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you saniya. Our pleasure to take you through our travel.

    ReplyDelete